Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Nautica & Octopoda


“‎I have always been fascinated by the ocean, to dip a limb beneath its surface and know that I'm touching eternity, that it goes on forever until it begins here again.” ― Lauren DeStefano.

I have been very drawn to the ocean and the depths of the sea this month. Maybe because it's so damn cold here I haven't felt the silky water on my now albino white skin for over five months. Maybe because the Southern Ocean flows directly into the Antarctic. All I know is that the last time I swam in the ocean it was a full moon and there was a thunderstorm going on (I know, dangerous). It was so magical. I felt like singing. I think I did sing.

All my life I've wished I was a mermaid. I love the ocean and water and fish and seaweed and coral. This month I have been particularly fixated on octopuses (yes, that is the correct way of saying it- no octopi around here). I love their flowing limbs, wait...can you call them limbs when the things have no bones? Anyway...they are intelligent, graceful and elegant creatures. Oh, and they have three hearts. Yup.

I am looking to incorporate them into a piece soon, but for now I am just randomly sketching when i miss the sea. I bought a new moleskin and am enjoying scribbling away. I also got some new oil paints and have ordered some great tutorial books, I can't wait to start mastering them. I am really just playing around for now and squishing the paint around my palette with my hands and some beautiful new brushes. I love oils. 




My wonderful new octopus ring. I have named him Kai, which means sea or ocean in Hawaiian. 


Paint scribbles and market finds.




Wonderful new art supplies. I was in heaven <3








My inspiration for this month















xo. E



1 comment:

  1. The Elle your Blog is so creative and beautiful. Keep it up sunshine!! Love Elle

    ReplyDelete